Our 25 Favorite Picture Books

This post has taken me like six months to write, but I finally got it done. After going to the library weekly for almost 5 years, we have read a lot of books! Here is a list of our favorites. I tried to chose books that were a little less common so maybe you might find some new favorites too.  Some of these are from my childhood, some are found from pinterest book lists, and most are just random library finds. :)


1. Kitten's First Full Moon
This has been one of Esther's favorites for a long time. Kevin Henkes is kind of hit or miss for me but this one is definitely his best.


2. Finding Wild
The girls both loved this one, especially Esther. It has beautiful illustrations and I love the message.


3. Green
This is cute book with "windows" that only has two words per page so it's great for toddlers.


4. Trupp
This is a book my mom read to me as a kid. It is so weird but kids love it! It has a good message though and it's one I really love reading to our girls.


5. Little Bear
This is a classic that everybody has probably already read, but I had to include it. I loved the Little Bear tv show as a kid and so do the girls. I'm always telling them "Little Bear plays by himself" and "Little Bear doesn't have any tablets or shows" haha.


6. My World
My World is a companion book to "Goodnight Moon". Adele was obsessed with this book as a 1-2 year old. It was the first book she memorized and it will forever be a family favorite.


7. Millions of Cats
This book was written in 1928 and it is a little morbid for kids by modern standards. But I've learned that those are the kinds of books kids love best. Plus it has cats so of course our girls like it.


8. Go Away Big Green Monster
I remember being obsessed with this book in early elementary school. Our kids love it just as much!


9. The Star Child
Sometimes called "The Jewel Child" or "Jewels" this is a common fairytale that I had never heard before Esther found it at the library. It is really sweet and I love it's bibically based lesson. Also this version has the best illustrations that I've seen.


10. My First Little House Books
I have always loved Little House books and these pictures books have been a great way to introduce the series until the girls are old enough to read the chapter books.


11. What Was I Scared Of
This is one a the few Dr Suess books I had never read until a few years ago. It is just the right amount of spooky for little kids and my girls went crazy for the glow in the dark version.


12. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Another weirdly morbid book that kids love haha. I found a copy at DI and Esther made me read it about 25 times that day.


13. Heggety Peg
This is my favorite of the picture books by Audrey and Don Wood. It is a little scary, but after the kids knew that everything turned out okay they loved reading it.


14. Home
This book wins for the most beautiful illustrations. It is kind of a trendy book right now, but I was lucky enough to find a new copy at a library sale, and I might just love reading this more than the girls.


15. Madeline
Esther calls this book "Madey-lion" haha. It is a classic that I think all little girls loves. A bonus is that it taught the girls to recognize the Eiffle Tower.


16. Nobody Likes A Goblin
This is a cute book for little boys, though our girls have loved it too. Leland also enjoys reading this one.


17. Elizbeti's Doll
You can't go wrong with a reading rainbow book. I liked that this one hopefully taught Esther how different life is in other countries, and how you don't need tons of fancy stuff to be happy.


18. Little Critter
I read Little Critter as a kid and now my girls love it. "Cwitter's baf" is one of Adele's top bedtime requests.


19. The Gruffalo
Another book that is a little spooky, but fun. This is a rhyming book that is best read in a British accent. :)



20. The Tale of Tom Kitten
My girls are luke warm towards most Beatrix Potter, but for some reason reading about these naughty kittens really gets their attention.


21. The Night Gardener
This is a cute book for slightly older kids, though the younger ones love finding all the animals too.


22.Owl Babies
This was the first (and only) book that we were forced to buy from the library after loosing it ha. But we found it and luckily it is a good one!


23. Star
Star was one of the first books I bought when Esther was born. It has a nice rhythm that makes it a perfect bedtime book for babies.

24. Mama Do You Love Me
This is a sweet book that my girls always reference when we're having deep discussions about bad behavior. I guess that means the message really sinks in. It is a great book for all kids.

25. The Tomten
I'd love to read more of Astrid Lindgren's books but this is the only one our library has. Still it is a cute book depicting a Swedish (I think?) folktale. I love all things Scandinavian so this one had to make our favorites list.

Are there any good books I missed? Let me know your favorites in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts