Bird Week

We have kind of been in a slump lately with school. I don't want to push Esther too much ( which I have done and is very easy for me to do) and I also don't want to do nothing, or at least she doesn't want me to since she always asks for school. So I decided to change things up and try doing unit studies instead of our regular workbooks. Our first week we did Birds and the girls loved it! I kept it pretty simple and we just got a big stack of bird books from the library Monday, then we read a few each day and did an activity each day. Here are some pictures of the books we found. 



I printed off a few worksheets and had the girls do those each day. The first day we talked about types of birds and what is classified as a bird, then we watched a video of a robin hatching. The second day we talked about feathers and examined some feathers we had collected. The third day we made bird feeders and hung them outside. On the fourth day we talked about nests and made these nest cookies which the girls were so excited about. On Friday I had planned to go to the Nature Center for a field trip but everyone was sick so we'll go next week. All in all it was a little more work for me but very fun for all of us. 


Comments

Popular Posts