Thursday, October 15, 2015

Changing Table Makeover

 So one pregnancy project is (pretty much) done! We got this changing table from Savers for $10. It was in pretty good condition and even came with a pad. Though the pad had some weird ink/marker on it. So at first I was just going to throw it out but then I ended up finding a way to make it work.

Before:

I had never painted furniture before so I didn't really know what I was doing. It turned out to be not as hard as I thought it would be. To paint we did two coats of primer and two coats of paint. We did one coat a night after Esther was asleep so it took a few days, but I am happy with how it turned out. There were mixed opinions about sanding online. Since we don't have a sander I skipped the sanding and I think the paint took pretty well. I am happy with how it turned out!

After:

So as I said I originally wanted to get a new changing pad, but after looking around and discovering they were about $30 at the cheapest I did not want to do that. Since we were doing this project on the cheap I just decided to recover the old changing pad with vinyl contact paper, (the kind you put in your cupboards). I got a roll for $5 from walmart (with a ton leftover) so I figured it was worth a try to see if it would work. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would. It seems very waterproof and it has worked with changing Esther so far. If it gets dirty after a diaper change we just wipe it down.   


Now I just need to find some storage baskets/bins to go underneath. We plan to use these to store the new baby's clothes in. 

***The whole project cost about $40 (including the changing table itself), but that is with a lot of leftover paint, primer and contact paper. We bought all the supplies at Walmart. 

1 comment:

 
Images by Freepik