18 Months of Israel

Israel is officially 1.5! His babyhood feels like a weird time warp for me because of all our fosters coming and going. But it still feels like he really grew up from baby to toddler when he started walking at 14 months and a few days later we got Baby Boy.

Israel is a little Mama’s boy. :) He loves me best but he does like Leland too when I’m not around. We have been trying out nursery with him for the past couple of weeks, Leland staying with him while I teach primary. He likes it and is almost comfortable enough to stay by himself. He is in that separation anxiety phase and doesn’t like it when I leave the room. He is shy around strangers but usually tolerated them after a little bit.

We call Israel our little goblin because he has a penchant for mischief. Besides doing things like dumping sugar all over the floor and playing in the toilet, there are other subtle little things he does every single day. Unplugging the baby swing, unzipping backpacks, Putting the plug in the bath tub, things like that haha. He likes cleaning up and organizing and has funny little tendencies, like he will take all the kids toothbrushes and play with them. Then later I will find him quietly going back into the bathroom and putting them away in the drawer haha. The same with his binkys. He will scatter them all over then later find them and put them all (including Baby Boy’s) back in the pocket of his rocking chair where we keep them.

Israel loves music. He will dance to any song and especially loves classical music. He listens very closely and will sing along too. Israel also loves balls, books, and his binky. He loves nursing and typically nurses 3x a day (morning, nap and bedtime). He asks much more often than that though ha. If we are home I usually let him. He is a pretty good eater. His favorite foods are oranges, soup, pizza and yogurt.

It is so interesting to see the different development of children. I try not to overly compare my children but I have noticed some differences with having a little boy. Since Israel didn’t walk until 14 months, once he did walk he really took off. He has amazing balance and has never had any big falls or bonks (knock on wood). He is quite fearless with his explorations. He will go into any water, slide down any ditch, and climb up anything he can. Obviously I have to keep a close watch on him, but I am always surprised by how competent he is. He scares me sometimes but I’m happy to let him climb and take risks because I know it’s so good for him.

Israel knows quite a few baby signs but “milk” is the sign he does 24/7 haha. He also learns new words everyday and it is so fun seeing him learn to talk. 1 is a hard age because he knows what he wants but usually can’t tell us so we have to figure out why he is crying, and then once we know he usually doesn’t understand our explanations. He is learning though and the toddler tantrums don’t get to me quite as much as they used to.

Israel is such a little sweetheart. He loves his sisters and has just recently started interacting with Baby Boy, usually by patting his back trying to burp him ha. I still feel a little guilty because Israel’s time as baby of the family was so short. He does get quite jealous and clingy especially when he is tired, but Adele was the same was at this age so I know it’s not all because of the baby. He has handled the transition well though. The future being unknown is hard, but I know Israel is being shaped into a more caring and compassionate person by being a big brother at such a young age. Israel is funny and silly and adorable and we love him. ❤️














Comments

Popular Posts