Lessons in Patience and Pictures

I have been working on my blog book, trying to get it finished before Blurb's Black Friday sale. I'm still on 2016 so I've been reading old posts from when Esther and Adele were roughly the same ages that Adele and Israel are now. It's crazy to think how quickly those stages are forgotten. I'm so glad I've  preserved the memories here. I was re-reading this post I wrote and it is eerily similar to things I'm experiencing now. We have tried a few times to potty train Adele, usually at her insistence to wear underwear. She is so sweet and eager most of the time, but she is not catching on. You would think she would be ready because she talks so well and is very self aware, but after reading that post I remembered that when they are ready it comes easily and I will feel more at peace with pushing her is and teaching her when the time is right. I am definitely ready to not have three in diapers, but I guess motherhood is just a series of lessons in patience.

Israel on the other hand is similar to Adele at this age and has been up every 1-2 hours at night for the past few weeks.  Luckily he will generally nap pretty well, or maybe my standards for good naps are just lower than they used to be. I have never felt like I've had postpartum depression, but usually around this age I start to feel the affects of six months of sleep deprivation catching up to me. Luckily Leland is really great about letting me sleep extra on the weekends. I did some gentle sleep training with Adele at this age, but I don't know if I want to do that with Israel in case his wakings are caused by teething or something. Plus I don't know if I can handle more Mom Guilt on top of what I already feel from being stretched thin trying to meet the needs of all the kids and myself and Leland. Anyways, I am learning lots of  lessons during this time of mothering many young children. Things that I used to really care about like what the kids wear, or having a clean house, I've had to just let go. (Though I really do try to keep the house clean it just get destroyed in 3 seconds) Not to mention abundance of practice I've had at staying calm when I see coloring on the wall for the thousandth time, or I come out of getting Israel to sleep to find that Esther spilled another entire gallon of milk on the floor for the second time this month (!!!). I'll stop myself there but really I could just go on and on with examples.

Hopefully this isn't depressing for anyone to read. Really I am ok with things being hard right now. I know hard things are what grow us and help us and I'd rather my "hard things" be having lot of little ones who need  me, instead of all the worse "hard things" I can think of that people go through. Anyways here are some pictures of my cuties. I  really do love them and I'm grateful to have them.










His first time in a swing :)










"I am Wendy and Adele is Michael and we are flying away to Neverland!"

















We gave Israel a sweet potato fry. He was thoroughly confused by it. 


Comments

Popular Posts