Quarantine Life

Now that quarantine is, hopefully, almost over I thought I'd better document our experience. Man, like everyone else I'm sure, it has been rough. We have been really lucky that we haven't been affected financially and Leland has been able to work from home. I'm so grateful for that and it's been a huge help having him here. I'm a little afraid for when he goes back to work. 😳

There have been a lot of good things that have come from this big change. It has been SO nice to not have all the appointments that come with foster care. We have been doing video calls which is great because I just put on a movie for the kids and I don't have to clean the house or even put real pants on ha. Also all the drive through options have been amazing. Can every drive through service just stay around after this? Sincerely a mom with 5 kids in carseats. It has also been so nice to not feel the need to fill our days with things. While play dates and extra-curriculars are fun, our schedule at times was over loaded with them. The kids and I are both happier when we spend time at home. Some times I feel pressure to do all the fun things and outings with them and really just playing in the backyard is fine.

Since Esther started her charter school this year, I was so hesitant. She loved it but it just never felt completely right. After she started the school her and Adele's relationship was not the same as it was before. Esther didn't like playing with Adele as much. Halfway through the year I really debated pulling her out, but she loved it and I decided to just stick with it. So, I for one was so glad when school was cancelled. We have had more time to spread school out over 5 days a week instead of 4. The girls relationship has improved and it has been good all around. Her school does send all these lessons for her to do and we tried that for like a week and I decided we weren't doing it. #sorrynotsorry Online school is not school. It is not the same, especially for a kindergartner. I want her learning hands on, not sitting in front of a screen all day. We've been focusing on reading and math and our science curriculum is called Wild Kratts.  I let myself feel a little guilty for not doing more, but then this week she took her end of year benchmark tests. She did so well! She even got 100% in science (thank you wild kratts). And that's only "doing school" 2-3 days a week most of the time.

With 5 kids we have definitely never been bored during this time of isolation. We have not done any projects or taken up new hobbies. I have been evaluating what is really worth our time spent out of the home. I am a people pleaser so sometimes I would do things or sign up for things because I didn't want to say no. Now that I've seen how everyone has survived without all these extra things I will be saying no more. Saying no and not even feeling bad about it.

As for the hard things. The hardest things for me has been self care and socialization. I usually go to the temple a couple times a month and it's my me-time and so good for me. Leland and I have been trying to go on a date a couple times a month. I also would get out of the house and go thrifting or shopping or wherever. Those things have all stopped and it's been hard. I am so grateful I have Leland and I'm not a single parent. Still it's been hard to be parenting without much of a break for 6 weeks straight. I think all babysitters are going to be rich after this!

I never thought myself a super social person, but I have really been missing my friends and talking to people. I have Leland of course, and texting and video calls with my family. But I miss chatting with my mom friends, seeing people at church and church activities. It's been rough. I realized I'm not as good of friends with people as I thought so I am committed to putting more time into real person relationships after this is over.

Having five small children is hard no matter what. Some moments I am blown away by how beautiful it is that  I have these five babies and some moments find me hiding in the bathroom wanting to cry.


And now for some pictures.


"We made Baby Belle a mask so she could come to the park with us"



















I successfully made my own sourdough starter and have been making sourdough bread from scratch! The stores have been out of yeast so I had no choice. 







Esther lost her first tooth!






A newfound obsession with bugs.





















Comments

Popular Posts