Esther Turns 8! and Gets Baptized!!

 Our March birthdays kicked off with Esther's at the beginning of the month. Since her birthday is at the first of the month, and baptisms are held the first weekend of the month, she was able to be baptized the day after she turned 8. She had been looking forward to this day for months. It was such a special weekend celebrating our Esther girl. 


The day before her birthday we had planned to go take baptism pictures, but instead that day she was horribly sick. She couldn't keep any food down and I was worried we would have to cancel her baptism. Luckily by the end of the day she was over the worst of it and she miraculously woke up on her birthday feeling fine. 

For her birthday this year she also got a birthday dress. In blue of course, her favorite color nowadays. 



Pictures are hard, but Esther is growing into such a beautiful big girl. Sometimes I still look at her and feel the same feelings I did when she was a baby, How did I make someone so beautiful?




After a 3 year streak of mermaid cakes, she asked for a cat cake this year. I was happy to oblige. 


Ever since she could ask for gifts she has always wanted a ride on battery powered car. It was never in the card for us, and this birthday I started despairing that she was getting too old for toys so I splurged on one for her. We found one new in the box for half the price on marketplace and I have no regrets. She loved it. She has been great about taking her siblings on rides and sharing it. 














Later on her birthday family came over for presents and cake. 













Then we went swimming. All the kids had a blast and even Moses enjoyed the water, just a little. 








Then the next morning we were up bright and early to prepare for her baptism. Children in our church are baptized at age 8 because we believe that is the age of accountability, when they are able to know right from wrong. We have been teaching Esther about baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost for the past year or so and I am always impressed by her intelligence and spiritual maturity. I was so happy and filled with the spirit. It was truly a great day. 







I am still sad we didn't make it to the temple for prettier pictures to commemorate this day, but after a few tries we maybe got a decent family picture. I wish I had a gotten a group photo of everyone that came to support Esther. Leland's mom flew in from Texas and gave a wonderful talk on the Holy Ghost. I am grateful to have so many people who love and teach our kids.  












Esther wore her hair in 'dog ears' just like I did on my baptism day 20 year ago. It feels strange to have a child be baptized when I feel like I still remember every detail of my baptism all those years ago. Luckily Leland got it right on the first time and Esther did not have to be dunked 3 times. ;)






































































Comments

Popular Posts