A New Fairy, Life with 6 Kids

 I’ve been taking a break from social media. I’ve tried for years to break the bad habits I’ve fallen into with my phone. After listening to this podcast I decided to take a real break, at least a month, maybe more, from checking or posting on Instagram or Facebook. It’s actually embarrassing how many times I would check those apps a day. I was feeling stressed and overwhelmed with six small children and it’s only been a week and already I feel less stressed, more peaceful and more empowered in managing my time and I our family of 8. 

Anyways this blog has been so long neglected! I love keeping a record of our family happenings here and it feels more right than trying to do that on Instagram, where I spend 10x as much time scrolling as I do posting anyways. So I’m going to make more of an effort with blogging, and also creating family year books and other albums. Hopefully I can catch up on some of the fun things we did this summer, but for now I’m just going to post about right now. 


Sweet little Sorrel is almost four months old already! She is at the age where whenever she catches my eye she breaks into a huge grin. It’s the sweetest thing. She has found her hands and is starting to hold toys. The jury is still out on what color hair she will have. Several people have commented on her “red hair” which I guess I can see, but I really can’t believe since neither Leland nor I have any red hair in our immediate families. But it’s just amazing to me, how different each of our babies are. Lots of people comment that they look the same but to me they look so different, they are so different! So much we would have missed out on if we didn’t have sweet little Sor Sor in our family. 




Sorrel has had her first few laughs and it’s just the sweetest sound. I remember when Israel was a baby, Esther, age 4 at the time, was so excited for his first laugh because she was sure she would finally see a fairy! The one born from his laugh. This time there wasn’t quite such an excitement and it made me realize how grown up my girls are growing up, I’m not even sure they believe in fairies anymore, but I think they still believe enough to never say such a thing, just in case. 

After being such a well seasoned mom of nine years (I kid) I’ve learned all the now how fleeting these little baby and toddler moments are, and how important it is to me to preserve the memories. If for no one else then for myself so I can remember it all when it’s gone. 


We loved General Conference. I was sad President Nelson didn't speak more and I was very sad to miss Elder Holland's talks two times in a row. But I did love several of the talks, especially President Nelson's, as well as Elder Bednar's. 



I can't get enough of her sleepy snuggles. She would only sleep on me for 2 months straight but at least she is cute. 



Baby Boy came to stay with us while his mom went on a trip in early October. 











A picture drawn by Esther. I'm always impressed by how talented she is! 




I spent the last couple months being quite overwhelmed with six children. Not usually in a sad depression kind of way but just in a "this is so much" kind of way. If that makes sense. I knew I could do it, I just didn't know how I was going to do it.  I still feel that way sometimes. But things are getting easier, bit by bit. Cutting out social media has helped and given me more of my time back. 







Adele's nature journal at nature school. 



We have waited so long to have another baby girl we aren't going to miss any opportunites to dress her in bows and bonnets. 




A VERY rare moment of Sorrel sleeping in the car seat. Car rides have been so so terrible with this baby. I'm telling myself it's just a stage and it has to end sometime, right? Poor baby



Julian got new glasses and Israel and Moses took the opportunity to put on some of his old frames with the lenses out. Israel often wears these out and about so that "people won't be able to tell him and Julian apart".



The kids before their primary program. They did so good! I'm grateful for their kind primary teachers and leaders here in our new ward. 

I saw the kids playing in the leaves and went out to take their picture. This picture was one of those times when I kept thinking, 'where's the other one? someone is missing, who is missing?" I think many moms know what this feeling means. Not exactly a comforting feeling when one has just delivered their 6th baby, but alas these little ones are eager to come and make their presence known. And I don't even know if it really means anything. When you have as many kids come and go as we have it leaves spaces and holes in your family that never quite get filled. I don't know when our family will be complete but I hope when it is I will stop having that momentarily panic feeling that one is lost.  


And that's all the pictures I have but I'll leave you with this little blissful sleeping baby picture. She's finally starting to let me set her down again and  I hope that means  I can eek out a little more time for blogging. 




Comments

Popular Posts