Camping in Hobble Creek Canyon

 For our July camping trip we went to Hobble Creek Canyon. I planned this camping trip with my childhood friend Alba, and it was so fun to camp with another family! 

On the way down to Springville we stopped by BYU. I had been wanting to show the kids my old stomping grounds and this was perfect because we were going to be driving by anyways. My freshman year at BYU I had a job at the cougareat. It was so fun and so different to take the kids there with me. We got Wendy's and then got ice cream from the little shop where I used to scoop ice cream. They were out of graham canyon, sadly, so I had to settle with Earnestly Chocolate. Still delicious!



Afterwards we went to the Museum of Art. There aren't many opportunities to take the kids to art museums where we live (or maybe there are but I don't know about them). This museum is free to everyone, which was great. I loved how much religious art is here and I loved seeing pieces I recognize in person. 

Alba and I and our kids, 11 years after we were roommates at BYU. :)

2022

2011








This piece by Brian Kershisnik used to hang in the JFSB building, back when I worked nights there cleaning that building when I was pregnant with Esther. I spent many midnight hours cleaning the foyer where this painting hung, and studying it. It will forever be one of my favorites. I was glad to see it again. It is gigantic and the massive size really makes a difference when you see it in person. 


Quick photos I took of my other favorites while chasing kids around and trying to make sure they didn't touch anything. 





Esther with the original Queen Esther painting by Minerva Teichert 


They had these yarn rainbows back in the day the last time I was here. They were the favorite of all the kids. 



After the museum we drove about an hour to get to our campground. I told the kids about our ancestors, Mary E Cox and Edwin Whiting, who first lived in Hobble Creek Canyon, on the way. 

As soon as we got there the kids noticed the little stream that ran by our campground. Someone had dammed (is that even a word?) it up to make a little pool. The kids were thrilled that we had our own swimming pool. They immediately stripped and got in, then continued to strip and wade in whenever they had the fancy for the entire camping trip. 😅 








Moses had his traditional "bowl bath" that all our babies get while camping. This campground was incredibly dusty (but no mosquitos!) so Moses needed several baths. 








There were cows all up and down the canyon while we were there. I was startled to see this one around the corner when I was taking Moses for a walk. 



If only the kids were this eager to do dishes at home...


Moses had to be walked in the stroller to fall asleep.



We went and visited a park and played a game of Kubb.



The kids got very bored waiting for us to finish and took pictures of each other. 









Moses showing off how quickly he can dirty himself. 









Fun by the campfire. This camping trip was really fun. We loved this campground and definitely want to go back sometime!



On the way home we stopped by the gigantic splash pad in Draper, I think it was. It was really hot and the kids were pretty tired but it was still worth checking out. 


Tired kids, all 5 zonked out as soon as we started driving home. 



Comments

Popular Posts