Cavaties, Caveats and a Dumbo Story

This morning I took both girls to the dentist. I did a really good job of preparing Esther and she did great. She was a little afraid but was brave and got a prize at the end. The dentist looked quickly at Adele and she wasn't a fan but was fine. They both loved sitting in the chair :)


What I didn't do a great job of was preparing myself! When the dentist told me Esther had four small cavities in her molars I totally felt awful. Like all day ha. The dentist explained that it is from the groves of her molars being too deep that the toothbrush bristles can't reach there, which is how Leland's and my teeth are too, but still I just felt so bad. Then they started talking about the treatment. Giving her an oral sedative that allows her to be conscious but out of it, and doesn't allow her to remember any of what happens, and strapping her to a papoose board (straight jacket) for her own safety, and to top it all off, no parents allowed back for the whole procedure! Man, all of that probably sounds normal and reasonable in general, but when it's your own child it is so much worse! Not to even mention how much it costs! 💸💸💸

Anyways, I don't even know my reason for writing this except it seemed to long for an instagram post.  Being a parent is so soul stretching in ways I never imagined it would be. Your heart feels everything these little ones feel, (and a lot more in this case ;)) and it's just so hard to see them go through anything remotely difficult. (Also for the record E didn't have this done today, it has yet to be scheduled.)

And now on a lighter note, a Dumbo story.

We watched Dumbo for the first time in a long time yesterday. Ever since Esther has been really attached to her Dumbo, sleeping with it, feeding it etc. So this morning when we left for the dentist she said she wanted to take Dumbo instead of Fuzzy (😱) so I let her.

After the dentist we went to the dollar store to get a couple of things. Of course while we were there Esther left Dumbo in the cart and I didn't notice. When we got home Esther noticed and started crying for Dumbo. It was time for Adele's nap so I told her we could go back after nap and look for him. Esther was really sad and kept talking about him the entire time. I tried calling the store and no one answered.

As we were getting ready to leave I was trying to prepare E for the fact that Dumbo might not be there anymore. Esther wouldn't really accept that saying she knew he was there. I told her she could say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help us find Dumbo. She said the sweetest little prayer in the car on the way there. When we got there,  lo and behold, Dumbo was sitting behind the register. Esther was so happy and pretty much pranced out of there. When we got in the car I told her she should thank Heavenly Father for helping her find Dumbo and she shouted out "Thank You!" It was the sweetest thing. After that my day was much better and I knew Esther would be fine whatever dental work she needed to have done.

Comments

  1. When Jessi had cavities at that age and the dentist said I couldn't come back, I picked a new dentist. Castle Creek in North Ogden. They let me come back and there was not a papoose board. They just sedated her and it was easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts